February 24, 2008

Rangers vs Panthers - Post Game Thoughts

Tonight’s game was as good as it gets. We dominated a team we should have on all levels of the game. Our offense was on, minus the powerplay again. While on the topic of powerplay, I don't understand how a team can be so good at even strength and than gain an advantage and somehow not be able to score. Whatever though, our even strength play right now is covering for all the powerplay problems. It's also very nice to see so many different players get on the score sheet. Not relying on one certain line to save us is a nice advantage thing to have. There is good balance right now on offense and we are going to need that to get in the playoffs and advance.

On defense, there is only one word to describe the play. Henrik. He was on his game and got his 8th shutout of the season making 23 saves. He was what we expect him to be and was just as dominant as the offense. I think the contract extension has really relaxed him because he has been excellent since it was officially announced.

The last thing I have to talk about is Malik. I hate him just as much as any other Rangers fan, but today I am going to put that to the side and say good job. He was physical, played well and got a goal and an assist. It's still hard for me to read his name in the list of 3 stars of the game. If anyone ever told me Malik would be a star I would laugh in their face. Now the question is, was this some fluke or does he actually have skill. I personally am not getting my hopes up but it was nice for him to really show up to this game.

The Rangers are really starting to show some serious potential and skill. They overcame a devastating loss and beat a team they are chasing in the standings and than continued the play and killed a team deep in the standings. Crunch time is upon the Rangers, and they are stepping up to the pressure. Now we just have to keep it up.

No comments: