March 19, 2008

Rangers at Devils - First Period Thoughts

Rangers 0 Devils 1

Our powerplay stinks. Not really any other way to put it. I think I would try Drury on the point with someone else in front (maybe Avery). Drury has a hard low slapshot that might work but who knows?

The Rangers were very lucky to get out of that period only down 1-0. The Devils played great. Unfortunately the Rangers couldn't sustain enough resistance to keep the puck out of the net but they certainly limited the damage. The Devils for that matter were lucky to get out of that period up 1 after Marty stopped Marty on the breakaway. Great pass by Rozsival who had a very good period. 

The Rangers top line of Jagr-Dubinsky-Avery was a clear negative that period. Outside of Jagr being neutralized by the Devils (as usual) Sean Avery had a very strange period. I liked the fight (longest I've ever seen??) but I recall two different instances in which he played with the puck in the defensive zone. Not that it led to any turnovers but it showed a lack of offensive drive. 

I said last night that this would be a tough game for the Rangers and the first period was very much what I expected. I didn't think the Rangers played horribly but they certainly need to step up to match the intensity of the Devils. No complaints about officiating...the non-call on the Malik broken stick was an awful missed call thankfully. No complaints on the goal. It was a nice play on which Henrik had no chance. The Rangers just need to get more pucks to the net and hopefully get a bounce or two behind Brodeur

No comments: