March 4, 2008

Islanders @ Rangers - Post Game Thoughts

Score: 4-3 Islanders (SO)

The Rangers controlled play again in overtime, but after a plethora of missed chances, including a crossbar by Shanahan, the game went to the shootout. Shanahan shot first for the the Rangers, and missed. Next was Richard Park for the Islanders, who also missed. Nigel Dawes scored for the Rangers, and Billy Guerin tied things on the next shot. After that, the scoring drought began, and Scott Gomez, Trent Hunter, Brandon Dubinsky, Miroslav Satan, Michal Rozsival, Mike Comrie, and Martin Straka all failed to score. Jeff Tambellini finally ended the shootout in its 6th round.

I blame this shootout on Tom Renney. Why is Michal Rozsival shooting 5th in the shootout?!?! Why is he shooting at all in the shootout!?!?! Also, I can understand not using Jagr in the first 3 rounds of the shootout, but to not use him in 6 rounds? And to use Rozsival before him? This didn't make sense to me at all, and this game ended with me screaming at my television.

If there is a silver lining in this game, it is the fact that Jagr had a phenomenal game, and the Rangers managed to come away with a point, which they desperately needed as they continue to climb the Eastern Conference standings.

Two points are a necessity Thursday night on the Island, so lets hope the Rangers can get the job done.

1 comment:

william Peace said...

A year can be a very long time when pro sports are involved. When the shoot out began I was convinced the Rangers would lose. The King no longer makes the big save. Stats tell us this, his performance tells us this, and finally my heart accepts the cold reality. If you told me I would think the way a year ago I would have told you that is impossible.